Monday, July 27, 2009

So how do you train for a volcano challenge when you live in the Yucantan Peninsula...?

As one of the crazy people who will attempt to hike/climb 4 volcanoes in 5 days I would like to share with you guys how my training is going...well....my training issues...

Next November we will be hiking 4 volcanoes; the Acatenango, San Pedro, Tajumulco (the highest volcano in Central America) and Pacaya.

- "Why?" you might ask yourself
- "Good question" I might reply

But I could also list a million reasons why you should help us out! We are doing for two main reasons: to have FUN and more importantly to raise funds for the GVI Charitable trust and the GVI Phoenix Projects (www.gviphoenix.blogspot.com).
These projects are inspirational and truly represent the spirit of GVI and what can be achieved with the help of many volunteers and a bunch of very committed staff.
So that's the reason why we are doing it...SO worth it.
I live in the Mexican Caribbean, where I manage the GVI Marine Expeditions - yeah, marine, not climbing nor hiking...and I spend most of my time in the water...not the mountains! On top of that, for those of you who are familiar with this part of the world, do you remember seeing a mountain around?...a hill?...maybe a slight incline?
Think harder....but the answer is NO. Where we live is a pretty flat part of the world. I think the highest points are either mayan ruins or horrible hotels on the coastline!
You see my point? How am I supposed to train for such a hike? Well, I am going to have to be pretty imaginative, and that's what I plan to tell you in the next few months.
I hope you enjoy our blog and if you can, please support up at http://www.justgiving.com/GVICTvolcano

Off to climb some stairs!
Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: